Types of candles, color symbolism, properly inscribing/loading/dressing the candles, and interpreting the candle burn will be discussed here.
Candle Magick History:
Modern day candles used in conjure has evolved from oil lamps; which I still use and encourage for continuous and hot powerful work. Many cultures and religious traditions have shaped and transformed old ways conjure. The use of 7 day vigil glass candles is a merging of Santeria, Catholicism, and Hoodoo.
Color Symbolism became popular during the 1940's when many southern rootwork practitioners followed the instructions of Mikhail Strabo and Henri Gamache. Because most of the spiritual suppliers were Jewish, candle burning was influenced by Kabbalistic and European traditions mixed with what remained from the original African Traditional Religions, most call Voodoo or Vodou.
Hoodoo or Southern Conjure, after-all, is an evolved folk magick of many traditions, faiths, spiritual backgrounds and beliefs originating from the African slaves once arriving in America and needing to camouflage their practices from the slave masters. Vodou traditions evolved into New Orleans Voodoo, and also into Hoodoo/Rootwork/JuJu/Conjure in America with a more Christian Base; and even some Native American Traditions mixed in (smudging and utilizing Black Hawk); and into Santeria, Palo, and Haitian Vodoun in South America and Haiti; with a more Catholic Base (Utilizing the Saints to camouflage their African deities).
Types of Candles:
· 3" MINI-CANDLES - quick work and 1-3 day workings.
· 4" ALTAR CANDLES and Votive Candles - HONEY JARS AND BOTTLE SPELLS.
· 6" OFFERTORY (HOUSEHOLD) CANDLES - FOR ANY CANDLE MAGICK.
· 9" JUMBO CANDLES - FOR ANY TYPE WORK REQUIRING LONGER BURNS.
· DOUBLE ACTION and REVERSING JUMBO CANDLES - They both repel and attract. To Undo Crossed Conditions and Attract desires depending on the color.
· METALLIC TAPER CANDLES - Use of the Gold & Silver to represent wealth, Solar, and Lunar Energy.
· FIGURAL CANDLES - Female, Male, Cross, Vagina, Penis, Skull etc. to represent your target. A plain candle will work just as good.
· TEA LIGHT CANDLES - Focused / protective work of many lights to surround another larger candle (enhancing power of the main candle) and to heat oils, also for series of days where the burn is done fairly quick for when time is short.
· GLASS ENCASED RELIGIOUS NOVENA CANDLES - Wrapped with a photo of a specific saint which governs the issue that needs assistance.
· GLASS ENCASED VIGIL CANDLES - Silk-screened images of specific petitions for love, money, success, peace, etc.
· UNLABELED PLAIN GLASS ENCASED VIGIL CANDLES - Designed so that you may wrap the candle with your own custom labels or petition papers.
· PULL-OUT CANDLES (VIGIL AND NOVENA CANDLE REFILLS) - My absolute favorite, and what I sell in my shop and recommend due to the versatility and control of your own work. You are able to inscribe your candle with names, words, and symbols. You can also layer the bottom and top with herbs and oils. Most important the ability to load the candle from the bottom with personal concerns/curios/herbs/resins/crystals of the target or yourself. It will then be in a protective glass to keep it safe while burning, and you will easily be able to decipher the meanings of the results. You can also add sacred seals or talismans on the outside of the glass.
RED – love, lust, desire, aggressive affection, passion, bodily vigor, sexuality, courage/will power, beauty, Root Chakra, Fire Element, Archangel Michael, Spirit/Soul
RED and BLACK (Double Action) - remove a love-jinx
PINK – nurturing love, friendship, emotional healing, attraction, passive affection, romance, femininity
ORANGE – motivation, ambition, endurance, success, career, change, opening the way (roads), high energy, Sacral Chakra
YELLOW – happiness, inspiration, wisdom, prayer, luck, action, communication, concentration, knowledge, learning, solar energy, Solar Plexus Chakra, Air Element, Archangel Raphael, Mental
GREEN – healing, fertility, rejuvenation, prosperity, growth, finances/assets, money, gambling luck, business, a good job, good crops, Heart Chakra, Earth Element, Archangel Uriel, Physical
GREEN and BLACK (Double Action) - remove money-jinx
BLUE – honesty, peace, harmony, meditation, calmness, healing, balancing, opening communication, patience, astral travel, prophetic dreams, Throat Chakra, Water Element, Archangel Gabriel, Emotional
PURPLE – spirituality, divination, psychic work, focus, intuition, mastery, power, ambition, control, command, Third Eye & Crown Chakra
WHITE – Go-to color used for everything, angel & ancestor veneration, deity invocation, spiritual blessings, purity, purification, healing, rest, harmony, enlightenment, contacting spiritual allies, sincerity, cleansing
WHITE and BLACK (Double Action) - reversing evil, remove general negativity & attract blessings.
GOLD - solar energy, Father God, prosperity, wealth, creativity, self-confidence, super success, victory, recognition, conscious, male energy
SILVER – lunar energy, Mother Goddess, clarity, self-worth, understanding, psychic energy/abilities, astral energy, channeling, sub-conscious, female energy
BROWN - court case, legal, neutrality, grounding, earth work, banishing sorrow, business success, learning, protection of familiars & pets.
GREY – stabilizing, repelling negative influences, removing addiction, breaking bad habits, confusion
BLACK – banish bad habits/addictions, protection, mourning/grief, repulsion, dark thoughts, sorrow, repelling evil or cursing, the unconscious, binding, hexing, dark arts, demonic energy